So, why make oatmeal in the Instant Pot? Why not? This full-proof recipe is not only easy, it adds a bit of extra “oomph” when you add chia seeds — my new favorite energy food. This Instant Pot chia seed oatmeal recipe is nutritious and delicious; it’s a great start to your day.
Since I’ve been trying to lose weight (aka my “election fat”) I’ve completely changed the way I eat… and suffice it to say, adding chia seeds not only makes the recipe better, it also boosts the nutritional value.
I add chia seeds because I love the health benefits and frankly, I’m not a huge fan of chia seed pudding — mainly because of its gelatinous texture. Okay, I hate it. It’s weird and slimy and it slithers in the bowl and well, it’s just no. (If, however, you have a chia seed pudding recipe you love, please post/share it!)
According to Healthline a 1 ounce (28 grams) serving of chia seeds has the following:
- Fiber: 11 grams.
- Protein: 4 grams.
- Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are Omega-3s).
- Calcium: 18% of the RDA.
- Manganese: 30% of the RDA.
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDA.
- Phosphorus: 27% of the RDA.
- They also contain a decent amount of Zinc, Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Potassium, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) and Vitamin B2.
In any case, when added to oatmeal, chia seeds are perfect. I add a variety of toppings, from chewy to crunchy — basically whatever’s in the pantry or fridge. Anything goes — almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, fresh fruit such as blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, or bananas. And I love to add some of the saved liquid from my no-peel homemade applesauce. I also like dried apricots or dried cranberries, coconut flakes, and yes, even dark chocolate chunks. You can also add a dash of cinnamon or a drizzle of honey or agave, too. Just mix and match your toppings to fit your mood. No matter how you serve it, Chia Seed Oatmeal is the perfect way to start your day.
Perfect Instant Pot Oatmeal with Chia Seeds in 4 minutes
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 4 mins
- Total Time: 6 mins
- Yield: 3 servings
- Category: Instant Pot, Easy, Fast
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 cup Steel-Cut Oats
- 1/4 cup Chia Seeds
- 2.5 cups Almond Milk (unsweetened)
- 1 pat/TBS butter
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Spray your Instant Pot with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Add the ingredients
- Set your IP to Manual or Pressure to 4 MINUTES
- Move valve to sealed
- Do a NATURAL RELEASE for 10-12 minutes
- Top with your choice of cinnamon, almonds, walnuts, coconut flakes, fresh fruit such as strawberries, blackberries, bananas, blueberries, dried cranberries, dried apricots, cinnamon, honey, agave, and more.
1 serving is 4 WW points
Shopping list: (affiliate links).
Anthony’s Organic Chia Seeds – Gluten Free/Batch tested, Non-GMO
Viva Naturals: Organic, Gluten Free 2 lb bag
Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats – 2 pack
Trader Joe’s Steel Cut Oatmeal – 30 oz.
There are several options, and all of the IP’s are great, but these are the ones I’ve used and are listed below. (I have the Mini 3 quart which I bought initially and use it to make side dishes while I use my 6-quart Duo60 for larger meals.)
And please, follow me on PINTEREST… the place where I go to look for a recipe and end up considering which Tiny House to buy.